vhHacks is Vancouver, BC's premier free hackathon for highschool students.
Run by the Vancouver High School Hackathon Association, the event is organized by grade 12 and 1st year university volunteers and aims to be accessible even to those who have never yet written a single line of code.
Whether you're looking to write your first "Hello World", or you already have a few projects under your belt, our knowledgable mentors are here to help you learn, have fun, and succeed.
How It Works
- Sign up here on Devpost so we can send you your welcome email
- Join our Discord community (where the event will be held virtually)
- Tune in to the Discord server at 5PM PDT on March 26. Happy Hacking!
Preliminary Schedule (48 hours)
- March 26, 17:00 PDT: Opening Ceremony
- March 26, 18:00 PDT: Hacking Starts
- March 28, 15:00 PDT: Submissions Due
- March 28, 17:00 PDT: Closing Ceremony
- How does an online hackathon work?
- You'll be able to interact with other hackers over our discord server and amazing virtual venue web app. You don't have to be online the whole time. If you want to hang out in a voice channel for the whole 48 hours, that's cool! But if you only want to drop in every once in a while for a workshop, that's fine too.
- Do I need anything to participate?
- A computer and a somewhat reliable internet connection.
- How big are teams?
- 1-4 people. If you want a team but don't have one, we'll have team-building events to help you find one!
- Can I participate if I'm not in Vancouver?
- Of course! Although if you're located outside Canada, we won't be able to guarantee international shipping.
$CAD1,355 in prizes
Repl.it Hacker Subscription (50)
As a beginner hackathon, we're awarding everyone who manages to successfully participate and submits their project to Devpost with a 3 month Repl.it Hacker plan subscription per person!
Courtesy of the amazing Repl.it Team.
5 Always on repls
10x the storage
4x the memory
4x the speed
Win Affinity Designer software! "Optimized for the latest tech on Mac, Windows and iPad, Affinity Designer is setting the new industry standard in the world of design. Best in class for creating concept art, print projects, logos, icons, UI designs, mock-ups and more, it’s already the top choice of thousands of professional illustrators, web designers, game developers and other creatives who love its silky-smooth combination of vector and raster design tools." - from Affinity's website
Best Game Dev Hack
Get access to beginner-friendly game development software like GameMaker, or just get some inspiration from a few indie games with a Steam or itch.io gift card.
Best Ocean-themed Hack
Ocean stuffed animal, awarded to the best ocean-themed hack!
A Raspberry Pi 4 Kit awarded to the best hack on the general track!
With ESP32 Development Boards, automate your home, control your lights, or make a smart rice cooker! Hack more tech into your life with these Internet-enabled, Arduino-compatible microcontroller devboards. Awarded to the 2nd place hack on the general track.
Prize TBA. Awarded to the 3rd place hack on the general track.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Anyone currently in highschool, or have recently graduated in the past year.
Mentors and Judges
If you're interested in being a mentor or a judge for vhhacks 2021, please contact us here.
Make sure you submit:
- A link where we can view your project (GitHub, repl.it, Codepen, etc.)
- A link to a 2-minute (maximum) YouTube video demonstrating your project.
Founder at Leading Learners
How much did you push yourselves with your project? What did you learn that was new?
How creative is your project, can it make someone stop and think?
What sort of technologies did you include in your project?
What does your project look like? Does it work the way you wanted?